History Of Highland
Highland Baptist Church was founded in 1954 on Hilltop Drive
in Raleigh, North Carolina.
The foundation for the church began following demographic studies of the area by the Raleigh Baptist Association and by seven prayer services in the homes of people living in the area. The foundation for the temporary building was completed in April of 1954. In May 2, 1954 a Sunday School was organized, and residents of the community made available rooms, porches and garages to be used as classrooms. The average attendance for the first three Sundays was 108.
On May 23, 1954 Highland Baptist Church was formally organized with 77 charter members. The first pastor, Rev. Charles L. McMillan, Jr., was called on June 6, 1954. The following years saw the construction of an educational building in April 1959 and a new sanctuary in May 1969.
In March of 1981, Highland decided to use the church parsonage as a mission house. This opened the door for the church to become familiar, first hand, with furloughing missionaries. Over the years, and change of mission houses, the opportunity to learn and experience a closer understanding of what foreign missionaries do and how they serve God by taking His Word around the world has impressed upon many members of the church the importance of missions.
As the church needs changes, all property and buildings were sold to Dr. and Mrs. G. Franklin Wiggins for the Shaw University Divinity School on February 18, 1988. The last services held at Hilltop Drive were on February 7, 1988.
On February 14, 1988, Highland Baptist Church began holding services at the interim location of Vandora Springs Elementary School in Garner. While meeting at the school, the church membership continued to grow. Groundbreaking ceremonies for a new church structure were held on November 13, 1988, and on October 7, 1990, the first services were held at the new (present) site on 8524 Crowder Road.
Since the relocation in 1990, Highland has grown along with the community around it. The sanctuary was completed in 1992, and educational annex in 1993, and the construction of the new fellowship hall and another educational annex were completed in 1996.
In 1992 Highland opened the Child Enrichment Center as a ministry to families in the surrounding area. This has been an outreach to bring families into the church. To meet the growing needs of the community and the members of the church, Highland began dual worship services in 1994. In September of 2001, Highland began dual Sunday School classes as well. The church continues to outreach to the community through children and youth programs, activities for senior adults, ministries to those with special needs, local missions projects, and small group studies.
Copyright 2014 Highland Baptist Church of Raleigh, Inc.
Highland Baptist Church, 8524 Crowder Road, Raleigh NC 27603, 919.779.8778